Scientist - Machine Learning
The DeepPumas team works on augmenting traditional pharmacological modeling frameworks with seamlessly embedded machine learning algorithms. This enables structural enforcement of prior scientific knowledge through statistical and dynamical modeling while enabling data-driven augmentation. We work with neural networks, universal differential equations, symbolic identification, Bayesian/Convolutional/Graph neural networks and more, all of which are deeply embedded in statistical and dynamical models. Our work is groundbreaking and unprecedented, taking us across the horizontal of basic scientific research to applications in real-world healthcare issues. Throughout the process, we are engaging with and building credibility in the scientific community by publishing papers, presenting (and winning awards) at prestigious international conferences. Our goal is to democratize the resulting methodology through well-crafted software and learning material for widespread use.
At DeepPumas, we are currently taking on few but scientifically challenging and long-running consulting projects. These are projects where apply the DeepPumas methodology of augmenting traditional knowledge-based phramacological modelling with data-driven AI. The projects typically involve solving problems that require refinement and further development of our methodology itself – including but not limited to the AI augmentation. As DeepPumas grows and we expand our ability to perform specific analyses quickly, this position might also evolve. Now, however, our projects are similar to post-docs, where we continually update collaborators on our progress but where the project is expected to take more than a year to complete. Every such project needs someone who can take ownership of it. Someone who will be the primary contact to our external partners; who gets to know the biology behind the problem; who charts the course, breaks down the problem into smaller tasks, takes on many of those tasks themselves but outsources the parts that require specific expertise beyond their own. So far, the work is typically done using AI-augmented nonlinear mixed effect models and will thus build on pharmacology, statistics, dynamics and ML.
Objectives of the Role
- Solve real-world healthcare problems using advanced AI-augmented pharmacological modeling.
- Develop general theory and methodology needed for the current and future projects to achieve its goals.
- Establish excellent working relationships with our external partners.
- Take ownership over specific DeepPumas scientific projects and lead them to successful completion
- Communicate internally and acquire the advice and the hands-on help that you need to successfully complete your projects.
- Communicate and collaborate internally to successfully meet deliverables.
- Interface with our external scientific partners and clients
- Research, design, implement, and document methodology
- Present your work at scientific conferences and write scientific papers
- Mentor interns
- Develop and communicate appropriate project documentation, including project overview, scope, team structure, status reports, issues management reports, change control reports, meeting notes, etc. as required and in a timely manner.
- Ensure adherence to company SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures), policies, and guidelines at the project level.
- Participate in Pumas-AI's continuous process improvement initiatives by, amongst other activities, assuring that project quality metrics align with company, client, and clinical operations objectives.
- Track identified project risks and issues and assist with following up with actions to ensure adherence to contractual agreement.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- PhD in related field or equivalent experience that satisfies the requirement and responsibilities stated.
- Effective communication skills.
- Experience with mathematical modelling.
- Proficiency in statistical reasoning and modelling
- Proficiency in dynamical modelling
- Proficiency with machine learning
- Proficiency of pharmacology
- Software development skills
- Proficiency with the Julia programming language
- Other relevant experience
Pumas-AI is a young company led by decades of experience in diverse areas of healthcare and mathematical modeling. With a focused goal on providing better solutions for patient care, be it via pharmaceutical drug development innovation or tools for point of care, Pumas-AI aims to bring value, innovation and efficiency to healthcare. We build technology that converts the power of science into real-world applications with unprecedented speed and accuracy. At the core of everything we do is our commitment to move science forward.
We are a virtual company with team members in several countries. While this means we can work remotely from anywhere, it also means we've developed a unique culture that thrives on transparency, communication, and creativity. Each of us respects the commitments we have outside of work – and the trust and flexibility to attend to them, encouraging a healthy work/life balance.
Pumas-AI is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Our culture is one that encourages, supports and celebrates our diversity and looks to bring out the best in each other.
Do the work you love and make an impact in the lives of millions. Join us!
Terms of Employment
Reports to: Senior Product Engineer
Travel Required: None
Position Type: Full-Time
Please send cover letter and CV to email@example.com.